Router recommendations

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at
Fri Feb 2 10:24:33 MST 2007

Jonathan Duncan wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Matthew Walker wrote:
>> You're missing the fact that he wants to do this:
>> xx.xx.xx.xx:1001 -> yy.yy.yy.yy:80
>> NOT
>> xx.xx.xx.xx:80 -> yy.yy.yy.yy:80
> Ah yes, thank you.  I read that but forgot it.  This is not port
> forwarding, since forwarding assume you are forwarding to the same port.
> This is port routing.  That is something I have not successfully done so
> I am not qualified to answer.

I have owned several cheap routers (linksys, smc, dlink, netgear) and
the only one that I have been able to do this "port routing" with was my
old netgear, which I stopped using because it was only a 10Mb, no
wireless, router.  I now use a Linksys router because it has been very
stable and reliable.

Now if I need to do something with duplicate internal ports, I either
change one application to listen on a different port, or I setup a linux
box with iptables, which does the port routing very nicely.