Router recommendations

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Fri Feb 2 09:57:53 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 22:08 -0700, Andrew Hunter wrote:
> Hi to all.  I'm setting up a couple of servers here at home and would
> find it very useful to find an appropriate router.  I'm having some
> trouble filtering through different names given to different features,
> though.  I'm looking for the ability to route an incoming request on a
> particular port to a specific port on a destination address inside the
> network.  Anyway, the names I see for this are private port forwarding
> (the one that seems most correct to me), port triggering, application
> triggering, and a couple others I don't recall.  Naturally, I might have
> mistook one of those names.  Anyway, does anyone have any
> recommendations for routers that can do what I describe?  I'm looking in
> the home-consumer level price range.  Wireless is not needed.  Many thanks.

My personal recommendation would be to find any of the Linksys routers
that support OpenWRT and go with that. I have a WRT54G (v2) and love it.
I know you don't need the wireless, but that model is still a good one.
Don't get a v5 WRT though. That version has incompatible hardware and
the firmware for it blows. Unless you can find an older model, you'll
have to get the WRT54GL which is the same as the v4, but with a higher
price tag. To me, totally worth it. Check the OpenWRT site for a list of
compatible hardware.

If you go with OpenWRT you'll have to tweak iptables rules directly, but
that seems easier to me than navigating the quagmire of "port
triggering, application triggering", etc.

Or see if your ISP will assign you a few more IP addresses. That's truly
the best solution, IMNSHO. NAT is Evil(tm).

Corey