A useful resource: Goodbye, Microsoft(r)

Brandon Stout bms at mscis.org
Fri Feb 2 01:28:00 MST 2007

Hill, Greg wrote:

>> #2 Having developers make Linux ports of their games as their being
>> developed.  One good way to encourage this,  is to let a developer of
>> a game you choose not to buy because it wasn't available for your
>> platform, well let them know you didn't buy and instead did #1
>>

> >From my understanding of a lot of the bigger game studios, it's the
> publisher that prevents things like this in most cases (they hold the
> purse strings and aren't willing to invest the money).  Maybe I'm wrong,
> but it seems to be the case based on interviews I've read.  The market
> share for Linux doesn't adequately compensate for the difficulty of the
> port, in most cases, especially since most studios use Direct3d instead
> of OpenGL.
>
> Greg

Also, big game vendors have to determine the cost of development changes
and compare it against potential sales increases to Linux based
customers.  E.g.: Even if the board of directors for Bethesda know that
Linux is also a desktop OS, they might find the potential market pocket
change compared to their already-existent, exceptionally large Windows
user market (Oblivion has received many "best game" awards, and they are
still coming).  Whew... say that sentence in one breath...

On another topic mentioned in another post: I'd never play an RPG or
other strategy game on a console either.  There are so many more things
you can do to recover from bugs, enter custom commands, modify gameplay,
etc on a computer.

My personal favorite open source game is The Battle for Wesnoth:

http://www.wesnoth.org/

And indeed, it demonstrates that developers can write multi-platform
games.  It looks and operates the same in Windows and Linux.  I imagine
looks the same on a Mac.

Brandon Stout
http://mscis.org