Router recommendations

Andrew Hunter andrewm_hunter at froghunters.com
Fri Feb 2 00:24:30 MST 2007

Jonathan Duncan wrote:
> I am not sure what you are meaning by private and public port
> forwarding. What is it that you are trying to accomplish?
> `
> Jonathan
As I understand the terms, a public port is the one that the Internet
sends to, and the private port is the one (behind the router) that the
server listens on.  In my case, I have 2 servers, a Debian
general-purpose webserver and a Suse iFolder server, both behind my
router, which connects to iProvo.  Both servers listen on port 80 for
web requests.  I would like to make it so that if someone requests
example.com (that is, a standard port 80 HTTP request), the request is
given to the Debian server on port 80.  If someone requests
example.com:1001, on the other hand, the request is forwarded to port 80
of the Suse server.  I had understood that, in the second case, port
1001 would be called the public port and 80 on the Suse box would be the
private port.  My current router will take the example.com:1001 and
forward to port 1001 on the Suse box.  Despite D-Link's claims, it will
not forward to port 80 on the Suse server.  Naturally, I could just
change the port that the Suse box listens on, but as the services I try
to host on my internal networks increase, that will be become much more
complicated, so I would prefer a single point of configuration.  I hope
that's all clear... I'm still a bit new to this sort of configuration,
and my understanding could be wrong.  Thanks for the responses--

Andrew