Router recommendations

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Thu Feb 1 22:25:12 MST 2007

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Andrew Hunter wrote:

> Hi to all.  I'm setting up a couple of servers here at home and would find it
> very useful to find an appropriate router.  I'm having some trouble filtering
> through different names given to different features, though.  I'm looking for
> the ability to route an incoming request on a particular port to a specific
> port on a destination address inside the network.  Anyway, the names I see
> for this are private port forwarding (the one that seems most correct to me),
> port triggering, application triggering, and a couple others I don't recall.
> Naturally, I might have mistook one of those names.  Anyway, does anyone have
> any recommendations for routers that can do what I describe?  I'm looking in
> the home-consumer level price range.  Wireless is not needed.  Many thanks.

Port forwarding.  I use it on my DSL modem which forwards to my
router/firewall.

I have used Netgear and had good success with them.  I just recently got
an FVS114 that I like:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/VPNandSSL/WiredVPNFirewallRouters/FVS114.aspx

Although I hear Linksys makes some really good products.

Jonathan