Apache Auth

Jeff Anderson jefferya at programmerq.net
Sun Dec 30 12:25:02 MST 2007

Steve wrote:
> You are going to need to use PHP or PERL and create a login box, tie
> it into a backend DB such as MySQL or PostGRES or even just a flat
> file.
> A ton of examples can be found here...
> http://www.hotscripts.com/search?q=authentication&cat=All
>
> The easiest way is probably a simple PHP script that checks for the
> presence of an authentication cookie, and if not present then it will
> direct the user to a login box for the pages being viewed.
> Something along the lines of
>
> <?php
> $auth  = $_COOKIE['auth'];
> if(!$auth){
>     die("You must login to view this page!");
> }else{
>    ShowPage();
> }
> ?>
>
> Sincerely,
> Steve Morrey
>
> On Dec 30, 2007 12:08 PM, Jeff Anderson <jefferya at programmerq.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am not going to bore you with 'why' but this is what I want to do:
>> Authenticate a user behind the apache authentication from the server-side.
>> Basically I want to get rid of the box if I have a password area on apache.
>>
>> The user would provide their credentials in the login form of <insert
>> your web app or framework here> and the web app would make a call or run
>> a command that tells apache that the current user is trying to
>> authenticate. Apache processes the request just like it had come from
>> the http request packet in the user agent.
>>
>> I am not interested in alternatives to this, as I have thought of many
>> of them already, and rejected them.
>> Any and all insight is appreciated, even if you don't have a solution.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jeff Anderson
>>

>> /*
>> Don't fear the penguin.
>> */

Hello,

This is a nice alternative, but I still want it to be apache
authentication. I've done the alternative authentications plenty of
times, but it still isn't apache authentication. I want the same
authentication to happen, so if I have the apache mod_kerberos
installed, I want to be able to have that handle the authentication
without presenting the ugly box to my users.
Thanks for the reply!

Jeff Anderson