Towards a better router.

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Sat Dec 29 15:52:27 MST 2007

Steve <smorrey at gmail.com> writes:

> Howdy Folks,
>
> Recently my Linksys router suffered it's final demise, and I went
> shopping around for a new router.
> After a few days of looking I finally settled on a new netgear router.
> Everything has been working fine, except for 2 problems.

Sounds to me like it's got a crappy bridge chip in it, along with
firmware issues.  If you're going to be doing a lot of heavy LAN
traffic, it may be worthwhile to get a dumb gigabit switch to be your
primary LAN hub and an openwrt-capable router to route to the
internet.  You may not have gigabit interfaces on your computers now,
but you probably will on your next computers, and gigabit switches are
cheap enough to afford now.

                --Levi