kernel configuration parameter HZ

Andres Gonzalez gonzo at agoralabs.com
Sat Dec 29 21:28:19 MST 2007

My understanding is that the kernel configuration parameter HZ has
changed with the various linux releases. Up to 2.4.x, HZ was typically
100; starting with version 2.6.0 HZ was 1000; but starting with 2.6.13
HZ can be 100, 250 or 1000; and since 2.6.20 HZ can also be 300.

My question is how can I determine programmatically (e.g. system call
??) what HZ was used to build the kernel my program is currently
running on?   That is, I want to be able to determine HZ during
program runtime.

Thanks,

-Andres