Oddball DNS issue: won't resolve hostname alone.

Andy Bradford amb-plug at bradfords.org
Fri Dec 21 14:18:37 MST 2007

Thus said Charles Curley on Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:29:39 MST:

> >  - AFAIK  Postfix  does not  consult resolv.conf;  it  talks to  DNS
> directly.
>
> Oh.   How  does   it  find   a  name   server  to   talk  to   without
> /etc/resolv.conf?

Maybe it  talks directly  to the nameserver  via other  mechanisms. i.e.
http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/resolve.html

If it  is linked with djb's  public DNS libraries its  entirely possible
that it doesn't need /etc/resolv.conf.  It might connect to 127.0.0.1 as
that document  suggests, or it  might look for  the DNS resolvers  in an
environment variable like DNSCACHEIP.

It may have its own alternative. I  don't postfix well enough to say one
way or the other, but it obviously isn't impossible.

Andy
  2:18pm  up 25 min,  1 user,  load average: 1.05, 1.18, 0.97