Article For Thought

Levi Pearson levi at
Thu Dec 20 19:19:12 MST 2007

Charles Curley <charlescurley at> writes:
> I don't, but try some of these. I haven't tried any, so I can't speak
> to how good they are. These all run on top of an OS, where my version
> is the OS.
> ccurley at dragon:/var/spool/mqueue# apt-cache search forth | grep forth | sort
> gforth - GNU Forth Language Environment
> kforth - Small Forth Interpreter Written in C++
> pforth - portable Forth interpreter
> yforth - A small freeware Forth environment in ANSI C

I was guessing you were talking about Forth.  I've been meaning to
play around with it.  I found the old books 'Starting Forth' and
'Thinking Forth' online, and read through parts of them.  Now I just
have to think of something to code with it. :)

Regarding Alan Kay's initiative, here's a link to the grant proposal:

It's forth-ish in some ways, in that it aims to run from the bare
metal up to the end user, and that it's very flexible and extensible.
It's built up from a different set of first principles, though.  It's
a very interesting research project.