Article For Thought

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Dec 20 21:23:37 MST 2007

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 11:30:25AM -0700, Justin Findlay wrote:
> On AD 2007 December 19 Wednesday 11:19:51 PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:

> That sounds awesome.  Do you have the source code online somewhere?

I don't, but try some of these. I haven't tried any, so I can't speak
to how good they are. These all run on top of an OS, where my version
is the OS.

ccurley at dragon:/var/spool/mqueue# apt-cache search forth | grep forth | sort
gforth - GNU Forth Language Environment
kforth - Small Forth Interpreter Written in C++
pforth - portable Forth interpreter
yforth - A small freeware Forth environment in ANSI C

> Why don't we program like this anymore?

It's too difficult for computer scientists to use, so they don't
teach it. <duck/>

> I think Alan Kay has some vision for reducing computing environments
> back to these wholesome proportions.
>
> <quote>
> It's going to be quite difficult to do this work in
> five years, but it will be exciting.
> </quote>

If it's going to take five years to do, it isn't forthlike in the
least. Unless, perhaps, four and a half of those five years are
budgeted for writing, applying for, and waiting on the NSF grant.