Oddball DNS issue: won't resolve hostname alone.

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Dec 20 11:46:03 MST 2007

Steven Alligood wrote:
> Anyone have any real reasons for not using sendmail?

Ease of configuration, and virtual users.  That's about it.  I use
postfix for my personal mail server for these reasons.  Sendmail does
not support virtual users in the same sense as any of the other common
MTAs.  Like users in SQL, etc.

Generally speaking I run sendmail at _work_ on all my mail servers.
It's industry standard, fairly secure (has not had a breach in many
years now), and supports a robust filtering API that's unmatched by any
other MTA, although postfix recently added initial support for the same
API.  The ability to hook into the actual envelope processing stage and
do external filtering is awesome.  A filter can stop a connection dead
before the entire message even gets accepted.  With Postfix, before
milter, you have to set up what are essentially proxy smtp servers
(amavisd, greylisting, etc).  Usually this means the entire message has
to be received before filtering can be applied.