Someone is re-writing my /etc/resolv.conf

Charles Curley charlescurley at
Thu Dec 20 11:39:57 MST 2007

I have an ancient machine that serves as my gateway/firewall,
issola. It has Ubuntu 7.10, upgraded from 7.04. The original
insrtallation was done from an Xubuntu CD using the alternate install

I have its external interface set up to use DHCP, the internal
interface is fixed. I have used as a name server; I now
want to shift that to I can edit /etc/resolv.conf, but
something is re-writing it to use the old IP address.

Part of /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf is as follows:

prepend domain-name-servers;
prepend domain-name-servers;
supersede domain-name "localdomain";

request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
	domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name,
	netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope;
#require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers;

Doing this:

root at issola:/etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d# find /etc/ /var -type f | grep -v ~$ | xargs grep '192\.168\.1\.3' | grep -v /var/log/

doesn't turn up anything obvious.