Oddball DNS issue: won't resolve hostname alone.

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Thu Dec 20 10:48:19 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 10:29 -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 11:19:10PM -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > - Setting up MX records isn't hard and may pay off in stability.
>
> So I need an MX record as well as an A name for each machine? Yucch.

No you don't. The RFC says to look for an MX first, then if none exists
to use the A.

> > - If you must, you can short-circuit the whole name lookup using a
> > transport map.  See the 'transport_maps' Postfix parameter.
> > However, while transport maps are powerful, this sort of hack
> > shouldn't be necessary.
>
> I have or have had working sendmail systems. Maybe I should just put
> sendmail on all my Ubuntu machines.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's not go saying something we're going to regret
later. Friends don't let friends install sendmail.

Looking back to your original question, I think I see the problem. host
is able to find 'charlesc' but dig can't. That's because host honors the
'search' entry in resolv.conf and dig doesn't. Neither does Postfix. If
you dig 'charlesc.localdomain', I bet you'll get a response. Try
addressing mail to ccurley at charlesc.localdomain instead and see if that
delivers.

Corey