Oddball DNS issue: won't resolve hostname alone.

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Thu Dec 20 10:41:28 MST 2007

Charles Curley wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 11:19:10PM -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>> - AFAIK Postfix does not consult resolv.conf; it talks to DNS directly.
>
> Oh. How does it find a name server to talk to without
> /etc/resolv.conf?

Good point.  Now it's less clear to me exactly how Postfix relates to
resolv.conf.

> I have or have had working sendmail systems. Maybe I should just put
> sendmail on all my Ubuntu machines.

At this point I would start stepping into the Postfix source code,
adding extra logging to figure out just why it's making certain
decisions.  But since you're already familiar with sendmail, you're
probably better off going that way.

Shane