Article For Thought

Kurt Griffiths kurt.griffiths at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 14:52:04 MST 2007

If you are trying to reduce the size of your code base and switching
languages simply isn't an option (for one reason or another), there are
several other areas you can focus on that can really help:

1. DRY
2. Relying on operating system services/libraries
3. Using 3rd-party components
4. Using code generation and/or an embedded scripting language
5. Supporting plug-ins and templates
6. Choosing smart DAL and UI frameworks that don't require a lot of
boilerplate code

On Dec 19, 2007 10:44 AM, Nathan Blackham <kemotaha at gmail.com> wrote:

> This article was mentioned in the IRC channel.  Remember that he is
> describing a problem that can exist in any language.  He isn't bashing a
> given language other than to get his point across.  I am not a big
> programmer, but I can understand his argument and is something I think
> every
> programmer should look at and examine if they fall into the big code base
> trap.
>
> Without futher ado:
> http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2007/12/codes-worst-enemy.html
>
> Later,