Happy Birthday Perl!

Paul Seamons paul at seamons.com
Wed Dec 19 09:59:26 MST 2007

On Wednesday 19 December 2007, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> On 12/19/07, Levi Pearson <levi at cold.org> wrote:
> > Not only did it solve a need at my previous job, the experience helped
> > get me my next job as well.  Yay for perl!  May perl 6 soon bring
> > sanity to the poor benighted language. ;)
>
> I followed the first few apocolypses / exegesises.  Sanity wasn't the
> first thing that came to mind.

When you have a couple of hours, the recent specifications are very
interesting reading.  Larry Wall has gone to great lengths to remove edge
cases and one-off cases.

http://perlcabal.org/syn/

If you have 20 minutes, then reading the latest State of the Onion address is
indirectly informative about Perl 6.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2007/12/06/soto-11.html

Even with all of the design fixes in Perl 6 there will still be a large crowd
that will mock Perl.  But I'll have even less reason to care than I have now.

Paul