Happy Birthday Perl!

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Wed Dec 19 08:03:52 MST 2007

Steve <smorrey at gmail.com> writes:

> With all the talk about Perl recently, it has come to my attention
> that Perl the swiss army chainsaw of computer languages turned 20
> years old yesterday.
> Happy Birthday Perl!
> Anyone care to share thier favorite "Perl to the rescue!" stories?

I absolutely abhor a lot about perl, but it's got some great things
going for it as well, not the least of which is CPAN and its plethora
of network admin tools.  When I had to write a program to map out the
topology of large clusters booting for the first time, I went straight
to perl, even though I've written very little with it before.  I was
able to listen and respond to DHCP requests and query SNMP MIBs on
switches, building the database of MAC address to IP address to switch
port mappings that I needed.

Not only did it solve a need at my previous job, the experience helped
get me my next job as well.  Yay for perl!  May perl 6 soon bring
sanity to the poor benighted language. ;)

                --Levi