Contract Job - Python dJango

Joseph Hall joseph at thatworks.com
Tue Dec 18 17:41:32 MST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 5:02 PM, Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
>  For me it's a simple matter that I don't have time to do any contract
> work right now. That and I'm just not web developer.
>
> It's not a bad web posting.  It's just that it's a contract posting.
> Which means lots of things have to be considered when thinking about
> taking it.

I think this nails it on the head. I get the occassional email from
recruiters asking me if I know, say, any Perl programmers that want to
work on Contract Job X. I tell them that I might be interested if
they:

a) Allow part-time work
b) Allow telecommuting

Invariably, the client is not interested. And that's a shame. As much
as I would like to make twice or thrice my current salary for three
months (as contract work often goes), what happens when those three
months are up? Do you have more work for me? No? I didn't think so. I
love my current job, and I have no intention of leaving it just so
that I can work elsewhere for three months (albeit at possibly better
pay) and then have who knows how long before something else comes
along. If I just up and dropped my current employer, how likely are
they to take me back? Can't say I blame them if they give me the same
finger I basically gave them three months ago.

When I travel, I have a lot of spare time in the evenings. It wouldn't
affect my job performance at all to spend 4 hours a night working on
some other project (that isn't a conflict of interest), and in most
cases I don't think my employer would mind me doing so. But not many
companies are interested in part-time telecommuters, and I've more or
less given up on them as well.

Just my $0.02.
--
Joseph