Contract Job - Python dJango

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Dec 18 17:02:56 MST 2007

Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 09:14 -0700, Tom Hanks wrote:
>> Anyone know python / django? or know someone who does?
>
> I talked to Tom and it looks like he wasn't able to get any traction on
> this job posting.  Are there no Python/Django developers looking for
> work?  Is this a matter of a tight job market, an unpopular framework or
> a bad job posting?

I think it's a great framework.  I've used it before and quite like it.
 For me it's a simple matter that I don't have time to do any contract
work right now. That and I'm just not web developer.

It's not a bad web posting.  It's just that it's a contract posting.
Which means lots of things have to be considered when thinking about
taking it.

> I guess I only know of 5 or so local people who use Django, I'm sure
> there are others who lurk.  Not being able to easily find developers
> seems like the biggest reason NOT to use Django (or any less common
> framework) and to a lesser extent, Python.  It's a shame.  Personally,
> I'll continue using them for projects because I dig them and I know I'll
> be around as long as I'm around :)
>
> I'll bet if this were PHP, he would have found someone in the first day
> or two (and I'm no PHP fan).  Oh well.

This is true.  That doesn't always mean PHP is the right tool. Then
again, availability of cheap developers is a plus.