To caps or not to caps that is the question?

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 11:17:09 MST 2007

Yeah I agree I usually hate the ternary if statements, but in this
case it compressed code that I felt was overly verbose.
Usually when I read code I automatically substitute symbol for there
english equivalent.
I found that the conditionals just plain sounded better in that context.
newval = (myval == someval) ? somefunction : otherfunction;
Expands out to...
if(myval == someval)
{
   newval = somefunction;
}else{
   newval = otherfunction;
}

That works great on it's own, but if I'm trying to do it as part of
another larger statement it makes the whole statement overall less
clear.

I don't know, I guess it's maybe I was recently working in lisp, and a
strong sudden desire to add parenthesis overcame me :)

As for the algorithm, this one works fine since one key was that I
didn't want to have to rely on an existing dataset, the only real
world usage that this function will ever see is as part of a testing
harness for a larger overall application.

Still begs the question though, why is the O2 version still ignoring
it, but the O3 version has put it back.

Sincerely,
Steve