Cast not your Perl before swine?

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 15:36:49 MST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 3:01 PM, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:
> I like this: "ps -eo pid,comm,vsz"
>
> It gives you each process ID, name, and the amount of virtual memory
> it's using, in KBytes. Beware, though, because Linux can mislead about
> how much memory is actually in use.

I've found ps/top misleading too.  I've always heard that you only
look at the "RSS" (resident) column.  The other columns double-count
the size of all the shared libs that a process uses (which are loaded
only once for all processes).

Anyway, what I'm trying to do is see how much memory java allocs for a
"Hello World" app.  The app starts and terminates too quickly for me
to catch it with ps or top.  I was hoping there would be a command
similar to "time" that I could run that would keep track of the memory
used.  I wonder if I could parse the output of strace or something and
count up all the malllocs.

-Bryan