Cast not your Perl before swine?

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 13:56:04 MST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 11:43 AM, Steven Alligood <steve at bluehost.com> wrote:
> Um.  Because it is a resource hog?
>
> > Why purposely avoid Java?

It is?  The JVM is actually very efficient with its use of resources.
I think the false impression that people have about Java being loose
with resources is that fact that the JVM will use as much memory as
you give it permission to use.  By default, the JVM sets that limit to
be 128MB of RAM (admittedly high for a default in my opinion).
However, Java SE can run in 1MB of RAM, and Java ME can run in
kilobytes on your phone.  Sloppy, resource hungry apps can be written
in any language, including Java, but there is nothing inherently
inefficient about the way Java handles resources.

BTW - is there a handy linux utility to measure the amount of RAM a
process allocs?  Something similar to what "time" does for CPU usage.

-Bryan