Cast not your Perl before swine?

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Fri Dec 14 22:30:29 MST 2007

Steve wrote:
> # of C jobs - 17583
> # of Java jobs - 16384
> # of C++ jobs - 8292

I'd be willing to bet my pointer arithmetic that most of those C jobs
are actually C++ jobs. Seriously, when was the last time you saw a
non-kernel-space program written in vanilla C? And no, GTK apps don't
count. :)

Most recruiters and HR minions don't seem to know the difference between
C and C++ anyway, let alone any other languages. Today I got an email
from a recruiter for a Python job, saying that C# and C++ experience
could be substituted for Python experience because the syntax is, quote,
"very similar."

Wow.

--Dave