Windows XP on a virtual console

Jeff Anderson jefferya at programmerq.net
Fri Dec 14 16:25:57 MST 2007

My goal is to run windows XP (through xen or kvm) in its own X session,
seperate from the usual gdm login screen.
I'm guessing that the process to configure gdm to do this would be to
create a server section that will fire up the second X server. I've
gotten it to do that, but I don't know how to get it to run my own X
session in there. My gdm servers section is below. It starts the gdm
chooser like normal, and then it starts the next server (and switches to
it. the novtswitch option doesn't seem to do what it implies.)

I guess my questions are:
-should I change the server command to something like xinit, or startx?
Would that work? if I do that, how can I control what user it runs as?
-How can I prevent the second server from switching itself to be the
active vt? At what level are vts handled anyway? the kernel?

[servers]
0=Standard
1=Vxp
[server-Standard]
name=Standard server
command=/usr/bin/X -br -audit 0
chooser=false
handled=true
flexible=true
priority=0

[server-Vxp]
name=Server for running windows virtualized
command=/usr/bin/Xorg -br -audit 0 -dpms -terminate -novtswitch
chooser=false
handled=false
flexible=false