Cast not your Perl before swine?

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 13:00:56 MST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 11:45 AM, Mark Higbee <mark at impactprocessing.com> wrote:
> Since when did Perl become a lingua archae?  If everyone is wanting you
> for a Perl job maybe that should tell you something
> :)

Agreed.  I know that Steve is saying that persons are calling him with
an interest to port apps from perl to something else.  But the fact of
the matter is that people are calling Steve because he has perl
experience.  I'd say that's reason enough for him to stay up on his
perl skills.

There's no replacement for good old anecdotal experience (with
recruitment stories, etc), but I don't understand why people have an
isolated experience or two and then draw broad sweeping conclusions
about the market.  I know that Dice isn't scientific, but it's a much
more accurate indicator of market demand that our personal micro
sample rate.

Dice.com:

# of perl jobs - 5555
# of php jobs - 2321
# of python jobs - 1393
# of ruby jobs - 669

These numbers don't make Perl a good language or a bad one.  They just
show a rough level of interest employers have in persons with perl
skills.  Is perl antiquated and relatively unused?  Hardly.

-Bryan