[Fwd: [Website Feedback] Sr. Linux Developer (Kernel and Driver)]

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Fri Dec 14 12:47:15 MST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 12:23 PM, Ryan Simpkins <plug at ryansimpkins.com> wrote:
> On Thu, December 13, 2007 19:04, Joseph Hall wrote:
> > I hate to be the guy to light the first flame(s), but I'm just curious
> > about a couple of things:
> >
> > 1) How many Sr. Linux Developers do you suppose he comes across that
> > have Word, or any other Microsoft product installed on their machines?

I think I've got enough relevant experience that I could apply for
that job, though I'm quite happy where I'm at.  I have Word installed,
and I'm not above sending a resume out that's written in Word.

Actually, many (if not most) embedded Linux SDKs are designed to run
on Windows and cross-compile to Linux through an Eclipse IDE shell.  I
would therefore imagine there are a lot of fairly experienced embedded
Linux developers that use Windows as their primary work OS.

> I figure as long as we have Robert Merrill feeding us good job listings we can
> survive the occasional less-quality one. I try not to be to picky - if someone
> needs a job they might not be picky either.
>
> I agree with you though. This job listing has a low-likelihood of getting any
> response from a Kernel hacker.

I wouldn't call myself a 'kernel hacker', though I had maintenance of
a kernel module as part of my previous job.  If I was looking right
now, I'd probably apply for this regardless of the request for Word
stuff.

Anyway, like Steve said, you can always use OpenOffice and export to
Word format, unless you're morally opposed to using proprietary
formats, in which case you'll probably end up a pauper with a really
long, dirty beard. :P

        --Levi