Cast not your Perl before swine?

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Fri Dec 14 11:37:32 MST 2007

Steve wrote:
> ...once were popular but have
> been fading out of fashion and entered a general state of disuse.
> Languages such as Perl, RPG, COBOL, BASIC, FORTRAN, assembler and of
> course the list goes on and on.
>
> ...considered "essential" to know
> Some good examples are  C/C++ and to a lesser extent C# Java, Python,
> PHP and well thats about all off the top of my head.
>
> <snip>
>
> Any thoughts?  Anyone using some of these older languages mind chiming
> in on what you use them for?  Are some of these older languages coming
> back into regular use?

I find it interesting that C is tagged as essential and perl is an
"older" language.

In my experience (web hosting, ISPs, Internet in general), Perl is still
used a LOT and for a very wide variety of things.  C tends to only be
used when an app needs to be very quick, or work with an older API, and
justifies the longer time to deploy and heavier bug squashing period.

And don't even get me started on which lower level of Hades where we
should shelve Java.  :)

-Steve