Running DNS locally?

Derek Carter goozbach at
Tue Dec 11 09:17:13 MST 2007

Steve wrote:
> Hey everyone,
> Recently I my ISP appears to have had a DNS outage and it got me
> thinking, maybe I should run a DNS server here locally for the
> computers on my own LAN.
> Has anyone on the list tried doing it?  If so what was your
> experience.  What hardware/software did you run.  Did it end up
> working well?
If you are talking about a caching-only DNS server, it's more than worth

And it's literally this easy( on a fedora based distro )

[root at ord-mandell ~]# yum install caching-nameserver

[root at ord-mandell ~]# /etc/init.d/named start

[root at ord-mandell ~]# chkconfig named on

[root at ord-mandell ~]# cat /etc/resolv.conf

Cool!, no?

If you are talking about Authoritive DNS then use something like or

Derek aka goozbach