Running DNS locally?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Dec 11 09:14:54 MST 2007

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 08:51:41AM -0700, Steve wrote:
> Hey everyone,
> Recently I my ISP appears to have had a DNS outage and it got me
> thinking, maybe I should run a DNS server here locally for the
> computers on my own LAN.
> Has anyone on the list tried doing it?  If so what was your
> experience.  What hardware/software did you run.  Did it end up
> working well?

I use bind 9, generally available from most distributions. For the
local stuff, it is authoritative. For the rest of the world, it caches
locally as usual. I just run it on my own desktop, so it doesn't eat
any extra resurces.

I started doing this back when I had dialup, and found it made a
noticable difference in human factors, such as speeding up loading web
pages.