Getting a full list of CNAMEs and A records from DNS

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Fri Dec 7 15:57:24 MST 2007

I have a rather unique problem where I need to construct a full list of
CNAMEs (aliases) and A records (official names) when given a single host
name. For example, if foo is a CNAME for bar, and biz is a CNAME for
baz, and baz is an A record, and I was given "biz", I would want to show
that "baz" is the primary host, and "foo", "bar", and "biz" are all
aliases for it.

Is this possible to do with tools like gethostbyname() or some other
library? Or would this require an entire zone transfer (AXFR)?

So far the only way I've been able to make "dig" do what I want is with
AXFR, which I'd like to avoid because that requires that my host be
authorized for zone transfers.

Thanks!

--Dave