I feel stupid -- determine the full path to a file

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Dec 6 14:15:38 MST 2007

Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> writes:

> You must love doing lots of popens and reading and writing to pipes in a
> very manual fashion, then.  If my problem involves scripting other
> commands (like this one), then I submit python is the wrong language.
> It the problem involves processing data that can be done with python
> modules, etc, then I'd be a fool to use bash for that.  The trick is
> knowing where the line is.  Another option is to blend solutions.  A bit
> of python, a bit of bash, which I do do when it's appropriate.

You're right, python is the wrong language for shell scripting, but so
is sh/bash!  What is the right one, you ask?  Well, it's the Scheme
Shell (scsh), of course!  See the manual at:
http://www.scsh.net/docu/html/man.html

(I realize that few, if any, of the readers of this list would
seriously consider doing their scripting in Scheme, but you should at
least follow that link for the 'Acknowledgements' section on that
page, which is hilarious.)

                --Levi