Best Distro for an old machine

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Dec 5 14:15:03 MST 2007

Kurt Griffiths wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We have some old P3s we are setting up to play retro LAN games (such
> as 'Craft) ala Wine. What would everyone recommend as a good Linux distro
> for these older machines? I need something small and fast. Already tried
> Ubuntu, and it was too slow. Next I am going to try VectorLinux. Since the
> system requirements for these games are something like a Pentium 90 MHz, I
> would expect to be able to get them running fine on a P3 1.0 GHz!

In my humble opinion, if Ubuntu was too slow, so would VectorLinux be
slow.  What about ubuntu was slow, exactly?  If it was the desktop
environment and memory footprint, consider Xubuntu.  Personally, I have
put Xubuntu on several sub-1 GHz machines and it was just fine.

--
Michael Torrie
Assistant CSR, System Administrator