Getting ISC DHCP to respond with pxe information, but not with lease

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Dec 3 21:59:06 MST 2007

Mike Lovell wrote:
> IIRC, this isn't really a function of the DHCP server but of the
> switches and routers in the middle. From my limited knowledge from the
> Harold B Lee Library system, Altirus has a regular DHCP server in it
> serving up requests. The switches and routers in the middle actually get
> a lease from the campus DHCP server and tag on the extra information
> from a lease from the Altirus server. I can't remember what the function
> in the switches was. My recommendation to check and see if this is the
> case would be Dan Wells in OIT or Jonathan Mecham in the Library. I
> might be completely off here though. I didn't really build that system.

Interesting.  I was asking originally because Dan Wells asked me about
it.  OIT is trying to set up a pxeboot system for campus that works in
conjunction with their existing dhcp server.

He indicated that altirus worked by responding to the dhcp request, but
without a lease.  The host would receive 2 dhcp responses, one with a
lease, and one with pxe info, and figure out what to do.  At least
that's what he claimed.  Your explanation sounds more logical, though.

Michael