Broken Reverse Zone

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sat Dec 1 14:48:08 MST 2007

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 01:40:18PM -0700, Jon Jensen wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, Charles Curley wrote:

> What is the named.conf zone definition? If it's "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa",
> then your problem is that you're double-defining the first 3 octets
> 192.168.1.

zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "sites/localdomain/reverse.zone";
	allow-transfer { 127.0.0.1; };
	allow-update { none; };
	allow-query { any; };
	zone-statistics yes;
	notify no;
	also-notify { };
};

> Your zone file should probably look like:
>
> 47  IN  PTR  phoenix.localdomain.

It now reads:

$TTL 3D; Reverse zone IP->DNS
@	IN	SOA	localdomain.	hostmaster.localdomain. (
			2007120106	;
			8H		;
			2H		;
			1W		;
			1D )		;

		NS	phoenix.localdomain.

47	IN	PTR	phoenix.localdomain.

3	IN	PTR	charlesc.localdomain.

And it works.

I also found out that restarting from gbindadmin does not produce the
same output in syslog as running "/etc/init.d/bind9 start". Something
is screwy!