Bind 9 Question

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sat Dec 1 10:10:10 MST 2007

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 10:33:51PM -0700, Jon Jensen wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Charles Curley wrote:
>
>> The question is, how do I get the local name server to correctly serve up
>> "charlescurley.com" (and "www.charlescurley.com", an alias for
>> charlescurley.com) to the local network.
>
> It sounds like you want "split horizon" DNS, also known by various other
> names. If you're using BIND, it can be implemented with BIND views. I've
> only skimmed this article, but it looks like a good introduction:
>
> http://www.oreilly.com/pub/a/oreilly/networking/news/views_0501.html

Thanks.

Views let you present the same zone two (or more?) different way. What
I want to do is make what are really two different zones look like
they are the same. So unless I am missing something (quite likely), I
don't think views will work.

What I think I need is to be able to have records that say "I don't
have that machine, try the rest of the universe." for certain machines
that look like they're in my zone but realyy aren't.