Mail re-filterer

Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Fri Aug 31 12:04:39 MDT 2007

* Byron Clark [Thu, 30 Aug 2007 at 21:51 -0600]
<quote>
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 09:36:25AM -0600, Von Fugal wrote:
> > You've all got it wrong. This is something I've brought up once before,
> > and someone said 'hurd'. Well, sorry, hurd is immature. Anyway, it would
> > be a kernel level thing. You know how a symlink is just a file with a
> > path in it, and a special flag that says 'follow'. Well, these things
> > I'm talking about would just be a file containing a _command_ with a
> > special flag that says 'execute and give the output'. So you have a file
> > with contents thus:
> > grepmail --date-in-the-last-month # i made this up, haven't looked yet
> >
> > This file would be flagged exemutable (or whatever you call it) and
> > named ~/Mail/recent
> >
> > mutt -f ~/Mail/recent
>
> I thought this was a cool idea and cobbled together a quick little proof
> of concept using FUSE.  My simple file system allows you to attach an
> extended attribute to each file in the file system that tells it which
> command to run.  When the file is opened for reading, the command is
> run.  I tried it out with grepmail and mutt and it seems to work well, I
> just don't have anything interesting in mbox format for grepmail to
> read.  If you're interested, I'll make the mercurial repository public.
> Here's an example run from my box:

Very nice. Now to just get it readily available. I was thinking as I
said before of maybe a special flag that tells the kernel to execute
the contained command. Using extended attributes is an interesting idea.
I know XFS has them, but not if anything else does. Then I thought, hey,
why not just use symlinks as they are? just link to a command instead of
a file, with something special at the front to distinguish it, like
perhaps #!. Then just add a little kernel hack to notice the #! and
execute instead of follow. You're links would show up red unless you
patched ls, but they would work. My goal here is to make it readily
available without any special filesystems. XFS would be OK, but all
linux filesystems supporting links would be better. :)

Von Fugal