Mail re-filterer

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Aug 28 17:05:59 MDT 2007

Chris wrote:
> On 8/27/07, Von Fugal <fuglv at cs.byu.edu> wrote:
>> In case ya'll are confused what I'm talking about, imagine it's like a
>> dynamic webpage. You GET http://www.google.com/search?q=von+fugal and it
>> gives you the top search results. Well, the same with these magic files.
>

> Sounds a lot like the Mac Mail program's "Smart  Mailboxes".

Right.  But the problem is that Mac Mail is the wrong place for this to
be implemented.  This needs to be done way lower level so that all mail
clients can work with it. For example, Mac Mail smart mailboxes should
show up on the webmail client when I log in and use roundcube.  So it
should either be implemented at the protocol level, or maybe even lower,
as Von and others have suggested.  Now that I understand Von's idea
better, I think it is a great one.  If implemented at a low enough level
(say with fuse in a VFS), then even mutt and direct spool access would
work (lower than the IMAP protocol).