Mail re-filterer

Von Fugal fuglv at cs.byu.edu
Mon Aug 27 18:51:48 MDT 2007

* Charles Curley [Mon, 27 Aug 2007 at 13:20 -0600]
<quote>
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 12:45:56PM -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
> > There must be a program out there that does this, but I'm having a hard
> > time finding anything appropriate.
> >
> > I want to filter a local mailbox (mbox or maildir would be fine) and
> > spit out mbox on stdout, with only the messages that match some filter.
> > An example might be, only messages more recent than 24 hours ago.
> >
> > Can procmail be wrangled into this sort of bulk processing? Is there something
> > else out there to do this? It seems like an immensely helpful thing to
> > have.
>
> "Grepmail searches a normal or compressed mailbox for a given regular
> expression, and returns those emails that match it. Piped input is
> allowed, and date and size restrictions are supported, as are searches
> using logical operators."
>
> http://grepmail.sourceforge.net/

Now just need an executable file (no, not a file that is executable, and
executable that is a file). Have your 'inbox' be one such file, where
the executable is grepmail with your favorite options on the 'real'
inbox. wow, the joy that would bring. What should such files be called?
And who will campain with me for thier realization?

In case ya'll are confused what I'm talking about, imagine it's like a
dynamic webpage. You GET http://www.google.com/search?q=von+fugal and it
gives you the top search results. Well, the same with these magic files.
You OPEN /home/vontrapp/Mail/dynamic-inbox and it gives you... A dynamic
filtered subset of your real inbox.

Von Fugal