[OT] Hit and Run

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Sat Aug 25 08:23:12 MDT 2007

People don't always blame their locality. I grew up in Santa Fe, and the
"bad drivers" were the Texans visiting the ski area (Texas for all its
bigness has no mountains, you may recall).

In Connecticut/Rhode Island people recognized that drivers were
inconsiderate, selfish, aggressive, and downright crazy, but it was more
of a "look how crazy we are" joke than self-despisement. I think the
average person was more attentive and alert there.

In California, and probably places like Washington DC, the obstacles
(lots of traffic) breed certain driving tendencies. People adapt. To
people used to light traffic (yes, most of Utah still counts as light
traffic in the grand scheme) it might be bad driving (your cab
experience), but to them it's a way of life. In Providence there's an
on/off ramp combination similar to the one between 800 north and 1600
north in Orem on I-15 northbound, but with 10 times as many cars trying
to merge in and get off, and they do it at full speed. You literally
have to have the passenger roll down his window and get eye contact and
point to where you want to merge (although your blinker is already on).

Utah driving is its own special flavor as is the local driving anywhere.
IMHO Utah driving is one of the less excuseable forms. In Utah you don't
have to be aggressive. You don't have to weave through six lanes of
traffic. You usually don't have to deal with crazy curving roads and
one-way mazes through the city. You don't have to drive for an hour to
go 10 blocks. All you have to do is pay attention to the road and be the
slightest bit patient. I never cease to be amazed at the apparent
inability of so many Utahns to pay attention and be slightly patient.