[OT] Hit and Run

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Thu Aug 23 11:21:32 MDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 11:11 -0600, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> On Thursday 23 August 2007, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> > in Japan, (Hong Kong),
>
> Should've read Japan, (or Hong Kong?),

Japan has such narrow and windy roads that without a lot of give and
take, nobody would get anywhere. You frequently need to pull over and
allow oncoming traffic to pass because there just isn't any room
otherwise.

They also have a different mindset toward honking, namely that they do
it all the time. Somebody allows you to pass, honk "thank you". Pull up
behind somebody, honk to let them know you're there. It's very
disconcerting at first, maddening in fact ("quit honking at me, I'm not
doing anything!!!"), but you get used to it.

And one final curiousity, at night drivers turn their lights off at red
lights so as to not blind the opposing traffic. It's not a law, but
pretty much everybody does it.

Corey