Comcast_Is_Starting_The_Tiered_Internet_Whether_We_Like_It_or_Not

Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Thu Aug 23 09:17:34 MDT 2007

* Corey Edwards [Tue, 21 Aug 2007 at 11:47 -0600]
> The p2p limit is artificial, but would the service be limited for
> everyone if that limit isn't in place? If not, then Comcast is blocking
> a useful service for no good reason. But if it is, then I can understand
> their point of view. While it sucks to be that one guy, it doesn't
> really make sense to let everybody else's service degrade.

Your missing the point, as are a lot of people here. I think that
blocking torrent/p2p IS wrong. Why?! Because Comcast _is_ providing the
customer a service, and that service is _internet_. Not just http, not
just whatever Comcast deems is most profitable to them. I could care
less if Comcast came out and said "we are offering http only, with
minimal allowance for any other protocol you might need on the side" or
if they said "we offer internet access sans torrents/p2p". But that's
exactly _not_ what they offer. If the bandwidth thing is really a
problem then they need to deal with it as a bandwidth thing. If 100
customers purchase "unlimited" access from comcast, and they all use an
"unlimited" amount, and comcast simply can't handle that, then that's
totally wrong. Comcast should be able to back up what they sell. They
could figure out what it is they could realistically provide, offer just
that, and let people go into it knowing what they will get. This is
totally feasible. Say Comcast says they can offer speeds up to X and
that the usage cap is Y, so you can get download speeds of X as long as
you don't exceed Y/day or Y/month. Then, the torrent user can look at
that and say, "gee, I need a lot more than that" and get a different
service, or an upgraded one with Comcast. It's not about what comcast
can do with their business. It's about what they say they will do and
then don't do it. They're LYING, plain and simple and it is wrong. The
truth is they probably can't compete on offering what they actually have
to offer, so the offer the world to everyone, then silence those (on the
network) that actually take what's offered. It's shady and dishonest,
and should definately stop.

Von Fugal