Failover dhcp server

twitchej at xmission.com twitchej at xmission.com
Thu Aug 23 07:12:17 MDT 2007

Quoting Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu>:

> Hopefully this won't get lost in all the noise on the list.
>
> Has anyone successfully set up two ISC dhcp servers in failover
> configuration?  I'm trying to follow the guide at
> http://www.madboa.com/geek/dhcp-failover/ but I'm not having any
> success.  Bringing up the primary dhcp server doesn't properly see that
> the secondary isn't running yet, and so dhcp requests just get unanswered.
>
> My second problem is more of a Cisco one.  How can I specify two dhcp
> server in the vlan configuration?  ip helper address only lets you set a
> single IP address, which seems kind of odd to me.
>
> Michael

One thing that might work for you is the Linux-ha project.

http://www.linux-ha.org/

Using heartbeat to control your service, in this case dhcpd. Then use
an IP Alias that move's with a failure to the other machine. It then
would do gratuitous arp broadcast to get the MAC/IP pair in sync with
the current machine. You could use DRBD to keep configuration and
lease files in sync realtime between machines.

John