Hit and Run

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 12:49:14 MDT 2007

On 8/22/07, Mister E <Mister.Ed at agoracart.com> wrote:
> There is precedent emerging from the judicial side on distracted
> driving.  One gal in the great lakes area (if I recall correctly) was
> sentenced to several years in prison for distracted driving.  She hit a
> child that darted out from between cars.  Normally a hard thing to
> avoid, but with her interest in attending to her electronic gadgets, the
> judge felt it wise to send a strong message to the public, using her as
> an example.

I strongly agree that distracted driving is extremely dangerous but it
isn't just to "use [a convict] as an example".  A judgment should
never be swayed by a need to "send a strong message to the public".
The thought of a judge doing this makes me sick.  On the other hand if
the judge's intent was to send this "strong message" to the convict
herself then more power to him.  We don't (shouldn't) use scape goats
in the US of A.