Comcast_Is_Starting_The_Tiered_Internet_Whether_We_Like_It_or_Not

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Wed Aug 22 12:08:41 MDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 11:55:34AM -0600, Jeremy Hansen wrote:

> I think you're confusing necessity with convenience.

There's an entire spectrum that covers various levels of convenience.
My brother went many months without any telephone access in his
apartment.  He saw it as foregoing a convenience.  It definitely made
things very inconvenient at times.

Even more inconvenient is electricity, water, and gas.  None of these is
_strictly_ a necessity, but I feel comfortable calling them necessities
because the degree of inconvenience is high enough.

> - Your mutual fund CAN send you a paper statement.
> - Your paycheck CAN be delivered to you in paper form, which you CAN then
> deposit at the local branch of a bank (you are not required to use an out of
> state bank).
> - I think it is debatable whether your employment really REQUIRES you to be
> online, but if so you CAN seek other employment.
> - Your classes may have online resources, but you CAN access them at school.
> - I guarantee that your church calling does not require you to have internet
> access at your home. You CAN obtain church materials from other sources.

All of these statements are perfectly true, but they don't change the
fact that I can't get things done if my connection goes down today.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/