Comcast_Is_Starting_The_Tiered_Internet_Whether_We_Like_It_or_Not

Jeremy Hansen atticusser at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 11:55:34 MDT 2007

> You're kidding, right?  My mutual fund doesn't send me paper statements
> anymore--the $20 per year fee is waived if you get electronic
> statements.  My bank doesn't even have a branch in Utah.  My paycheck is
> put into my bank account by direct deposit, and the paystub is only
> available online.  My employment requires me to be online.  Many of my
> classes have online resources, and I need Internet access to do any of
> my projects.  Several resources relating to my Church calling are only
> available online.
>
> So pretty much the only aspect of my life that doesn't depend on
> connectivity is my family life.  Granted, I can get by by using my
> connection in my office or in a library rather than in my home, but
> Internet access is definitely a necessity.

I think you're confusing necessity with convenience.

I think Jon's point is (and a correct point it is I might add) to make it a
necessity, you would have to have no off-line alternative to the things you
listed.

- Your mutual fund CAN send you a paper statement.
- Your paycheck CAN be delivered to you in paper form, which you CAN then
deposit at the local branch of a bank (you are not required to use an out of
state bank).
- I think it is debatable whether your employment really REQUIRES you to be
online, but if so you CAN seek other employment.
- Your classes may have online resources, but you CAN access them at school.
- I guarantee that your church calling does not require you to have internet
access at your home. You CAN obtain church materials from other sources.

There is still a large degree of alternatives available to anything you do
on the internet. In fact, I would argue that the state of the internet is
such that IT is still considered the alternative. Though I don't argue that
the trend is changing.

Jeremy

-