Comcast_Is_Starting_The_Tiered_Internet_Whether_We_Like_It_or_Not

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Wed Aug 22 11:36:34 MDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 11:14:42AM -0600, Jon Gale wrote:

> Give me a break!
>
> Guess what, the US Postal Service still delivers mail the old fashioned
> way.  Banks have live (gasp!) humans working in brick and mortar buildings
> available to help you transact financial business.  Your phone book has the
> names and numbers of any person or business you need to reach locally.  You
> can buy porn in downtown Salt Lake (or you can drive to Evanston if you need
> the hard stuff) and you can actually shop (in person) at a local retailer!
>
> Internet access is a necessity?  Hardly.

You're kidding, right?  My mutual fund doesn't send me paper statements
anymore--the $20 per year fee is waived if you get electronic
statements.  My bank doesn't even have a branch in Utah.  My paycheck is
put into my bank account by direct deposit, and the paystub is only
available online.  My employment requires me to be online.  Many of my
classes have online resources, and I need Internet access to do any of
my projects.  Several resources relating to my Church calling are only
available online.

So pretty much the only aspect of my life that doesn't depend on
connectivity is my family life.  Granted, I can get by by using my
connection in my office or in a library rather than in my home, but
Internet access is definitely a necessity.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/