[OT] Hit and Run

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Wed Aug 22 09:46:10 MDT 2007

Joseph Hall wrote:
> On 8/22/07, Kenneth Burgener <kenneth at mail1.ttak.org> wrote:
>> I know when I am talking on a cell phone I am more distracted then if I
>> were not.  I think it would be very hard to dispute that.
>
> See, that's what I'm getting at. I could be wrong, but I like to think
> that my driving is the same whether I'm talking to the person in the
> seat next to me or if I'm talking on a hands-free set (I refuse to
> talk on the drive and talk on the phone without the hands-free set). I
> certainly don't feel any more distracted. I suppose anyone that's
> driven with me in both situations would be able to tell me better.

During normal driving I could agree with you.  I think the problem comes
when there is an emergency.  If you had to do an emergency stop, or
swerve out of the way of something, or some other abrupt movement, and
person in the car talking with you would instinctively shut their mouth,
thereby freeing your mind to focus on the situation at hand.  The person
on the phone will not have the same immediate reaction, and you will
likely have to focus some attention to tell the person to shut their
mouths for a few moments, or take the mental time to ignore their
incoming comments.

I am sure you could argue that you are of a strong enough mind to block
out the conversation immediately, but I tend to think that most people
have, at minimum, a slight difficulty in detaching themselves from a
engaging conversation.