[OT] Hit and Run

Joseph Hall joseph at thatworks.com
Wed Aug 22 06:45:01 MDT 2007

I don't get it. Why should talking on a cell phone be any different
from holding a drink in one hand and talking to somebody in the
passenger seat while driving? People do that all the time, and I have
yet to hear somebody complain about it. Or if you're using a
hands-free set, how should that be any different from driving with
both hands and talking to the person in the passenger seat, or the
back seat?

It doesn't make sense to me. It shouldn't be any different. Of course,
driving and texting (DWT) at the same time, that would be dangerous.

On 8/21/07, Corey Edwards <tensai at zmonkey.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 17:36 -0600, Mister E wrote:
> > ps - recent studies show that cell phone users, while driving, have the
> > same reaction time as do legally intoxicated drivers, so this is no lite
> > thing for me personally
>
> A study at the University of Utah, no less. It showed the people who
> were at the legal limit did as well or better than those using cell
> phones. If anybody is wondering, using a hands free set did not make a
> difference. It's not a lack of dexterity that causes the danger, but
> being mentally detached from the situation.
>
> Wow. This is getting really OT. Um... I think they used a computer to do
> the study. They should have used Linux if they didn't.
>
> Corey

Joseph
http://blog.josephhall.com/