[OT] Hit and Run

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 14:58:24 MDT 2007

Welcome to Utah, this is pretty standard fare especially for Utah county.
It has to do with the fact that a substantial amount of revenue is
generated from the issuance and enforcement of relatively low level
citations against those for whom enforcement will be easy, i.e. Middle
Income, stable folks with jobs and insurance.  However if enforcement
would require much more than a simple summons, then citations are
rarely ever issued.

Feel lucky that you yourself were not cited, to be perfectly frank.
Yes you were on the phone with dispatch, but on the whole never try to
stop a hit and run driver.  Thats breaking a lot of laws. I know I
very nearly evaded a citation myself last summer when a guy in a SUV
hopped a curb, ran over a bicyclist and then took off.  I was right
behind him, so I swung my  vehicle out blockade style in front of him
and offered him a nice T-Bone to add to his hit and run (I've got good
insurance and needed a new car anyways).  He stopped before he T-Boned
with my much larger truck.  But the cop threatened to cite me!

Conversely I personally know a man who has had 15 DUI's in 20 years,
and has never done a day of prison time, the longest time he spent in
jail was 180 days.  He rarely ever walks out of court with so much as
a fine.  His secret?  He's indigent, but keeps telling the judge "I'm
trying to get my life together", etc.

Anyways as i said, welcome to Utah, this is pretty, much par for the course.